Obir Dripstone Caves
In the Geopark Karavanke we successfully collaborate with schools, kindergartens in the field of geological and geomorphological content. And so we have, with purpose to promote a different approach to education and teaching, which promotes active attitude to the content from the field of geology and raises the creativity, prepared a project “GEO PROJECT DAY IN THE GEOPARK KARAVANKE”.
About the project
The connecting link of all project partners in the region and in the field of education is the Geopark Karavanke. One of the most important objectives is to popularize the content of geology, nature conservation and other natural and cultural heritage. Special attention is given to young people. Therefore, the involvement and cooperation with educational institutions in the area is the most important.
With the project Geo project day in the Geopark Karavanke we create ideas, content and programs for Geo-project day and applied the idea of a Geo-project day to all educational institutions in the area of the Geopark Karavanke as well as outside the area.
- The municipality of Mežica – Project coordinator
- Primary school and kindergarten Mežica
- The Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation, Maribor
- Podzemlje Pece d.o.o. – a tourist mine and museum
- The municipality of Eisenkappel-Vellach / Železna Kapla-Bela
- Primary school Eisenkappel
- Obir Dripstone Caves
GEO Project day
Why geo-project day?
Earth Sciences are in the educational system poorly integrated, often the case that the geology uninteresting and boring is, as well as the unpopular topic of teachers, because we do not known enough our landscape in which we live, because we want the children become curious about the enthusiasm, appreciated experience, in particular to understand the role of nature and feel respect for her.
We decided to take advantage of the classroom in nature, which gives us the home environment and innovation and experiential teaching that change and for this invite as many kindergartens and schools from area of the Geopark Karavankme as well as further afield.
How is Geo-project day performed?
It is performed under the slogan “The Karavanke/Karawanken Geopark:“It’s fun, it’s educational and no chore.”
• Geopark Karavanke on the basis of consultations with practitioners in the field of education every year call to another topic in the field of geology and related natural and cultural heritage
• Carry out by teachers at the school / kindergartens (working in groups or pairs, creative workshops, conduct experiments, surveys, watching films and documentaries, execution of quizzes, games, cross-curricular integration …)
• The school / kindergarten invite experts (see the terrain, field trials, visit geo -point, walk along the educational trail, visit the Geopark Karavanke Information centre, a collection of rocks, …)
• Carry out by the Geopark Karavanke Information centre Podzemlje Pece in Mežica or Information centre in Bad Eisenkappel (design workshops, field trips geo points of interest, professionally guided walk along the educational trail, viewing mine, view files, …)
• presenting the results of the work within the framework of the annual Week of the Karavanke/Karawanken Geopark at the end of the school year.
This project has been funded with support from the European Commission. The contents of this publication (communication) are the sole responsibility of the author and can in no way be taken to reflect the views of the European Commission.