Obir Dripstone Caves
The GEOPARK project was implemented during the OP SI-AT 2007-2013 and was co-financed by the European Union, through the European Regional Development Fund.
Short description of the project:
The area of Črna na Koroškem, Mežica, Prevalje, Ravne na Koroškem, Dravograd, Bleiburg, Neuhaus, Feistritz ob Bleiburg, Globasnitz, Gallizien, Sittersdorf, Bad Eisenkappel and Zell municipalities is characterized by exceptional geological composition, with numerous geological features. The total surface of area is 997 km2, and has a population of 51,500.
The area of geopark is marked by centuries-old mining tradition; ore bodies outcrops on the Peca, Uršlja gora and Obir mountains slopes, as well as their remains in old mines still attract the attention of many visitors and scientist, as some of them are exceptional, global scientific importance. The geopark area is crossed by the Periadriatic fault system, where the different rocks of Euroasian and African litospheric plates come into contact. A variety of rocks and other remains of volcanic activity can be found on Smrekovec and in Ebriach. In geopark a numerous deposits of ore minerals, rare minerals and fossils can be seen. As a consequence of active tectonics and erosion processes during the Karavanke and Savinja Alps formation, the unique and interesting relief was developed. Beautiful forests, mountain meadows, and cliffs are habitats of some rare, endangered plant and animal species.
Project aims were:
- the establishment of cross-border geopark;
- to encourage the sustainable use of geological natural resources and contribute to their conservation with the cross-border coordination and management;
- to intensify the cross-border cooperation;
- to improve the visibility and to encourage the sustainable development of this area, mainly with the help of „Geotourism“ and „Geoeducation“.
Project duration: 36 months (finished: 31. 8. 2013).
• Podzemlje Pece, d. o. o.
• Obir Tropfsteinhöhlen
• The Institute of the Republic of Slovenia for Nature Conservation, Regional unit Maribor
• The Municipality of Črna na Koroškem
• The Municipality of Mežica
• The Municipality of Prevalje
• The Municipality of Globasnitz
• The Municipality of Zell
• The Municipality of Freistritz ob Bleiburg
• The Koroška Regional museum, Unit Ravne na
• RRA Koroška, regionalna razvojna agencija za Koroško
• Regionalmanagment Kärnten Dienstleistungs – GesmbH